Tuesday, March 16, 2010

All About Seeds

I love it when we can add science to a lesson. On Letter S Day we talked about seeds. We learned how plants grow from seeds (using sunflowers as the example) and where seeds can be found in plants. Then we cut open some fruit and vegetables to find the seeds.

A squash plant was similar to a pumpkin, which was familiar to the kids.



An avocado has a huge seeds. Kaleb thought it looked like chocolate. Yum!


I let them try some of the vegetables that had seeds in them, including cucumber, green pepper and tomato. We talked about which seeds are ok to eat and which are not. After some discussion about tomato seeds, we concluded that although technically they are edible, they are yucky and none of the kids like them. But I sure enjoyed tomato in my salad later that day!



Only a couple of children were brave enough to try the tomato.

Green pepper seeds were very different from the others. I compared the large avocado seed to the tiny pepper seeds.


We also planted our own seeds. The two cups your child brought home had marigolds in one and cucumber seeds in another. I hope the plants are growing!


1 comment:

  1. We have 2 cucumber sprouts and one marigold! Abby is already asking when she can eat one of the cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete